tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

Subaru: i am working on a 2008 subaru forester 2.5L. When

Customer Question

Hi i am working on a 2008 subaru forester 2.5L. When the car is running the CEL is on and the AT Temperature Light is flashing. I found a P0700 transmission control system code in the PCM. Where should i go from here? What are possible causes of this problem?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,The problem with this code is all it is telling us is that the transmission control module is requesting the check engine light be turned on. This basically means the TCM has to be scanned to get the codes. You cannot get these codes without a scan tool that can get into the TCM. A regular OBDII reader won't help here. I would check the basics on the transmission, make sure it's full of atf and see if there is any binding when making tight corners that might at least point in the right direction. Otherwise you will be stuck having a shop check the TCM for codes, then possibly doing the actual repairs yourself to save some money.Sorry there isn't any better info for this, but the code really doesn't point to any specific issue.Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, i forgot to put the TCM code in the first question. I have a p1718 auto trans CAN communication circuit code at the TCM.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
OkI am not showing this code on alldata, so I am going to have to send your question back out to the other experts. Please don't reply or it will just lock it back to me.
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.
Hi,did the battery go dead or replaced recently? There was a communication problem at some point,today I had the same problem at my shop,what I did to repair the problem was to disconnect battery, hold cables together for 30 seconds this drains the capacitors in all modules,reinstall cables after 15 minuets, then you should be all set,let me know,thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay we tried that and the light is still on. The code is a communication code so i went a found the TCM and ECM. I found that someone was messing with the wiring at the TCM. Some wires are spliced to other wires. Its a mess. Alldata does not have a good connector view of the TCM connectors so i have no way of properly repairing the wires. Is there any way you could help me get a good wiring diagram that gives me colors and such?

Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.
There are 2 separate wiring diagrams for different trans serial numbers,when dealing with Subaru wiring a upper case L means the wire color is blue