Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

2004 sti- p0022 code- checked timing, removed banjo bolts

Customer Question
what's next...
2004 sti- p0022 code- checked timing, removed banjo bolts what's next
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Subaru
4/21/2016
Subaru Mechanic: Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer replied 1 year ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Hi there.Not familiar with code P0022 (generic code?), but codes P0011 or P0021 on a STI set when the OCV gets stuck. This can happen when the oil pipe gets sludged up or the solenoid itself goes bad. If engine timing and oil pressure are OK and screens and oil pipe are clear, then next step is to flush engine with a good chemical flush (might need more than just one flush). Erase codes and drive vehicle. If code(s) return, use scan tool to monitor OCV operation and repair circuit or replace assembly as necessary.Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns regarding this issue.Best Regards.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yes your correct it's a p0021 and the engine doesn't sound starved for oil which is what I would expect if the oil pick up tub was full of sludge. Will a chemical flush such as sea foam potentially repair a vvt. Unclear what OCV stands for
VVT refers to the whole system while OCV (oil flow control valve) is a component within that system. Here is how Subaru describes both:"The STI engine features a Variable Valve Timing (VVT) system which adjusts the opening and closing timing of the intake valves optimally by continuously changing the phase angle of the camshaft sprocket relative to the camshaft.The ECM determines the optimal cam angle relative to the crank angle by making reference to the engine speed, vehicle speed, throttle opening and other relevant parameters.Under the control of the ECM the oil flow control valve (OCV) moves its spool to switch the hydraulic passage to/from the advance and retard chambers that are formed in the camshaft sprocket to change continuously the phase angle between the camshaft sprocket and camshaft."I don't know what you mean by the "oil pick up tub"; my reference was to the oil pipe that feeds the OCV, as this pipe getting gunked up is a very common occurrence on these engines.Regarding the chemical flush, the only thing I can recommend because of its warranty and effectiveness is the one made by BG (click here for their website).Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns regarding this issue.Best Regards.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Replaced the sensor and cleaned out the line it was not plugged code came back p0021
I'm sorry if you misunderstood my instructions on my post of 4/21 at 3:30 PM. As you can see, the instructions clearly stated to monitor the OCV operation with the scan tool - the sensor wasn't even mentioned:"Not familiar with code P0022 (generic code?), but codes P0011 or P0021 on a STI set when the OCV gets stuck. This can happen when the oil pipe gets sludged up or the solenoid itself goes bad. If engine timing and oil pressure are OK and screens and oil pipe are clear, then next step is to flush engine with a good chemical flush (might need more than just one flush). Erase codes and drive vehicle. If code(s) return, use scan tool to monitor OCV operation and repair circuit or replace assembly as necessary."Please let me now if you have any other questions regarding this issue. if not, kindly accept and rate my answer now.Best Regards.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well if we replaced OCV and we clean the hardline that feeds the OCV
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
So if that's done wouldn't the flush be pointless in regards ***** ***** OCV systems being that the part is new and the hose is cleaned out
I understand you might feel frustrated and I'm sorry if you do. At the same time I ask you to please understand that all I can do from where I am is offer you my technical knowledge and guidance; it is you, using the required equipment and tools the only one who can diagnose and ultimately fix your vehicle.I'm also sorry if you misunderstood my instructions - which are actually from Subaru. Once again, I did not tell you to replace anything unless it was necessary to do so based on pertinent data observed through the scan tool. Without that data, we are basically in the dark regarding not only the condition of the OCV and the PCM, but that of the circuits in between those and the sensor.Please let me now if you have any other questions regarding this issue. if not, kindly accept and rate my answer now.Best Regards.
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer