Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport: My subaru 1999 impreza would

Customer Question

My subaru 1999 impreza would not start after replacing valve cover gasket
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Does the engine crank and not start or no cranking at all?You did just the valve cover gasket and not the head gasket? No timing belt removal or anything like that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No timing belt just valve cover gasket
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's crank but it dose not turn over
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
OkCan you pull a spark plug wire, set it next to something metal and crank the engine?You should see spark come out of the end of the wire and jump to the metal.Also, which side gasket did you replace?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced both gasket
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
OkWe have to find out if it's missing fuel or spark so please try the test and get back to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would do that later I have no time right now
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
OkBased on what you have told me you have done to the car, it sounds like the cam position sensor may not be plugged in all the way. Or the wires may have pushed back out. This is on the driver side of the engine and in the front. If you unplugged it or pinched any wires for it, the car won't have any spark.This is really the only thing that would cause this unless you somehow crossed up all the spark plug wires. You have to check this and let me know when you can.Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Were exactly is the cam wire located because the cam sensor is connected correctly
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, I don't understand the question?If the cam sensor is connected properly, then you can see the wiring for it, it comes off the top of the engine over to the cam sensor. It's possible that even though it's connected properly it pushed the wire out of the connector far enough to not be making contact.Take fuel, fire and compression to make the engine run. When you can, run the test and find out if it's missing the fire (spark) and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I well do so
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** be on all day today, so just go ahead and post when you can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so test all wires have spark
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dose this mean it might be a bad cam sensor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also notice that some sparks plugs were wet with oil would that cost the car not to start
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, spark is good, it could be a fuel issue. If you have spark it's not a cam sensor issue.If you can, spray some carb cleaner or starting fluid into the throttle and crank the engine. If it runs for a few seconds, then it's a fuel problem.Also, there is a large vacuum hose that connects to the bottom of the hose from the air cleaner to the throttle. Make sure it's connected. If not, the car won't want to start or will start only a few seconds then shut off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the spark plug being wet with oil dose not have nothing to do
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Shouldn't if the car was running before you did the work. Granted it shouldn't be covered with oil, but unless the spark is not actually making it to the spark plug, it should at least try to run
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now I have a bigger problem.on of the spark plug Crack inside the cylinder and now I can't remove it
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
You snapped the head part of the plug off? I have seen the ceramic part break, never actually ripped the hex off and left the plug in the hole, is this what has happened?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea the ceramic break and I can't get the a grip off ithe to pull out
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
So the plug is loose in there? Not stuck in the cylinder head itself you mean?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
If you get a magnet you may be able to get the end of the ceramic part. Where the plug wire connects. A magnet might pull that out of there for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No its in there I can't get to it basically the ceramic is in the way so I can't get the wrench to hook to the spark plug so I can losses it
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
I get it, I am suggesting you use a magnet to get the metal tip of the spark plug..not the end that goes into the engine, the other end. This should get some of it out of the way, I realize not all, but depending on how bad you broke it, it might help. Otherwise you will need some air pressure to blow it out of the hole.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I post I put some starting fluid on the throttle body and no luck