Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport: My subaru 1999 impreza would

Customer Question
My subaru 1999 impreza would...
My subaru 1999 impreza would not start after replacing valve cover gasket
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Subaru
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/14/2016
Subaru Mechanic: Mike V., Subaru Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Hi there,Does the engine crank and not start or no cranking at all?You did just the valve cover gasket and not the head gasket? No timing belt removal or anything like that?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No timing belt just valve cover gasket
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's crank but it dose not turn over
OkCan you pull a spark plug wire, set it next to something metal and crank the engine?You should see spark come out of the end of the wire and jump to the metal.Also, which side gasket did you replace?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replaced both gasket
OkWe have to find out if it's missing fuel or spark so please try the test and get back to me.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would do that later I have no time right now
OkBased on what you have told me you have done to the car, it sounds like the cam position sensor may not be plugged in all the way. Or the wires may have pushed back out. This is on the driver side of the engine and in the front. If you unplugged it or pinched any wires for it, the car won't have any spark.This is really the only thing that would cause this unless you somehow crossed up all the spark plug wires. You have to check this and let me know when you can.Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.Thank you so much!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Were exactly is the cam wire located because the cam sensor is connected correctly
I'm sorry, I don't understand the question?If the cam sensor is connected properly, then you can see the wiring for it, it comes off the top of the engine over to the cam sensor. It's possible that even though it's connected properly it pushed the wire out of the connector far enough to not be making contact.Take fuel, fire and compression to make the engine run. When you can, run the test and find out if it's missing the fire (spark) and let me know.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I well do so
Thanks, ***** ***** be on all day today, so just go ahead and post when you can.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok so test all wires have spark
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dose this mean it might be a bad cam sensor
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also notice that some sparks plugs were wet with oil would that cost the car not to start
Ok, spark is good, it could be a fuel issue. If you have spark it's not a cam sensor issue.If you can, spray some carb cleaner or starting fluid into the throttle and crank the engine. If it runs for a few seconds, then it's a fuel problem.Also, there is a large vacuum hose that connects to the bottom of the hose from the air cleaner to the throttle. Make sure it's connected. If not, the car won't want to start or will start only a few seconds then shut off.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
So the spark plug being wet with oil dose not have nothing to do
Shouldn't if the car was running before you did the work. Granted it shouldn't be covered with oil, but unless the spark is not actually making it to the spark plug, it should at least try to run
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now I have a bigger problem.on of the spark plug Crack inside the cylinder and now I can't remove it
You snapped the head part of the plug off? I have seen the ceramic part break, never actually ripped the hex off and left the plug in the hole, is this what has happened?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yea the ceramic break and I can't get the a grip off ithe to pull out
So the plug is loose in there? Not stuck in the cylinder head itself you mean?
If you get a magnet you may be able to get the end of the ceramic part. Where the plug wire connects. A magnet might pull that out of there for you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No its in there I can't get to it basically the ceramic is in the way so I can't get the wrench to hook to the spark plug so I can losses it
I get it, I am suggesting you use a magnet to get the metal tip of the spark plug..not the end that goes into the engine, the other end. This should get some of it out of the way, I realize not all, but depending on how bad you broke it, it might help. Otherwise you will need some air pressure to blow it out of the hole.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
So I post I put some starting fluid on the throttle body and no luck
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician