Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

I own a 2005 Subaru Forester. It turns over, starts fine.

Customer Question
Idle drops below 400 rpm...
I own a 2005 Subaru Forester. It turns over, starts fine. Idle drops below 400 rpm and that is where the idle stays. Stalls when u put it in gear. Check engine light is on. Cruise light is flashing. Scanner shows no problems, only code is low engine speed. Replaced drive by wire pedal, new plugs, new wires. No change. Help?!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Subaru
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/29/2016
Subaru Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 1 year ago
mike switzer

hi my name is ***** ***** will be helping you on this do you have the code that you were able to pull from the computer. the one for low engine speed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
P0506.
Subaru Mechanic: john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician

The code you have P0506 SUBARU - Idle Speed Control System RPM Lower Than Expected
Possible causes

Dirty throttle body .

1. Electric throttle control actuator misadjusted or damaged
  2. Faulty Electric throttle control actuator
  3. Intake air leak
  4. Poor electrical connection to the Intake Air Control (IAC) valve

This is mostly due to the fact that the throttle body is dirty and needs cleaning,

with the throttle body getting gunked up with dirt oil ect it will cut the idle down and if the ECM sees more than 100rpm drop from idle target it will set the code P0506.

If after the clean out and codes cleared and test drive if the code comes back this may be the Electric Throttle Control Actuatorneeds replacing .

Need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me .

john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto