Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

I recently had some chugging close to stalling while idling.

Customer Question
Hi I'm Tim. I recently...
Hi I'm Tim. I recently had some chugging close to stalling while idling. CEL came on so I got it checked and had 301-304 and 400 codes. I got the plugs and wires replaced about 6 months ago, so a friend suggested the coil. I replaced the coil - problem is still present.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Ya
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Subaru Mechanic should know about your Subaru?
Customer: 83,000 miles
JA: Our top Subaru Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Subaru Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Subaru Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Customer: 2009 subaru legacy 2.5i
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Subaru
3/24/2016
Subaru Mechanic: Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The code P0400 indicates you have an EGR flow concern and if the EGR is flowing when it should not be it can cause a lean condition which can cause the engine misfire codes your getting. Before you do anything lets try disconnecting the EGR valve and see if the engine runs better. Check this for me and post back with the results and we can work from there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Ron. I first tried cleaning the EGR valve. This kept me code free for a few days, but then it popped a 302 code. I just replaced the EGR valve today with a brand new one. It's still chugging and struggling at idle. I replaced the ignition coil and plugs and wires. 2 fresh tanks of gas with Lucas injector treatments. Any ideas?

The code P0302 indicates an engine misfire on the #2 cylinder. Since you have replaced the spark plugs is the engine still misfiring?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ya... see my first question please.

Did you ever try disconnecting the EGR so it can not flow and see if it ran any better?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ya... see my second question. Replaced the whole thing today. Problem still present.

Okay well then Im out of ideas and I dont think I can fix it from here. I will open the post back up for you and perhaps someone has something different to offer.

Subaru Mechanic: tamaz, Subaru master technician replied 1 year ago
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician

Hi,so #1-4misfires did not return and the only code present at this time is a #2 misfire

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it was a just the #2 this last time. I cleared everything after I swapped the EGR and it was running fine until I stopped it and turned it off. It turned over twice before starting and seemed to struggle at idle again. Still struggling at idle but no more codes thrown... yet.

how does it run off idle

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hesitates to accelerate at first but runs fine above 1k-1.5k rpms. Only when I slow down to a stop, chugging and shaking.

I know you said the coil was replaced but was it with a factory one

tamaz
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician