Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

I have a 1999 Subaru legacy that won t accelerate. It takes

Customer Question
forever to get to 55...
I have a 1999 Subaru legacy that won t accelerate. It takes forever to get to 55 mph. No problems starting and runs just fine. Also the power steering doesn't work, not sure if this is related or not.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not sure, it runs justcfinecsround town but will not as accelerate.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Subaru Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Subaru
3/19/2016
Subaru Mechanic: I. Silva, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
I. Silva
I. Silva, ASE Certified Technician

Hello...welcome and thank you for using Justanswer.

How many miles do you have on this vehicle ?

When was the last time you replaced your plugs ,wires and filters (fuel and air) ?

Do you have the check engine light ON or does it blink when you try to give gas to pick up speed ?

Try to pull a spark plug off to see the condition of them, also ,check for oil in the spark plug wires where they go into the cylinder heads ?

Is the power steering hard to turn ?

Have you check the power steering fluid to see if it is full ?

Do you have any noise when turning the steering wheel ?

Sorry for all the questions , I need to know to give you a better answer.

Let me know.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll let you know tomorrow, it's not my vehicle, I'll have to ask some ?'s

No problem.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well, the check engine light is is on! I took it to oReily's was told it was the knock sensor. I changed the plugs, air and fuel filters. The plugs looked bad, fuel and air filters looked good. I took it for spin same sluggish response

Hi there...

So the engine starts and runs fine right ?

By any chance ,do you have anyone that can check the fuel trims ? (will need a scanner with data to do so)

Wonder what are the fuel/air mix values.

With the engine running can you wiggle the harness by the Mass air flow sensor to see if it the idle changes or get rough ?

Also ,can you disconnect the battery for a minute and then connect it and try to see if the hesitation goes away?

If no and yes to the questions above my best guess would be a weak up stream O2 sensor.

Good luck.

Let me know.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Engine starts but will not stay running without high rpm's, runs worse since I put all ad this effort into it! The vehicle has 113000 miles. Where is the mess air flow sensor?

Hi there ,the mass air flow sensor is mounted on the inlet pipe that goes to the air filter box .

Also it may be a good time to check the timing ,with this mileage is possible that it jumped time.

Let me know.

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, So I went back and went over everthing I did. A walla!!! I found that I had a diconected vacuum line. That straitened out the starting issues. I cleaned the mess air sensor as well. Car runs much better, noat a NASCAR but defiantly a driver. I also filled the empty power steering fluid with stop leek fluid, I hope that works.

Hi there... I am glad you have fixed the problem .

On the power steering ,looks like you have a leak somewhere ,pump and the pressure hose are common to bad, just keep you eyes on it .

I really appreciate if you take a few seconds of your time and rate my help ,positive rate really help my performance here at this site.

Thank you very much.

Kevin C.
Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.