Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I went to change the oil and pulled the transmission plug by…

Customer Question
I went to change...

I went to change the oil and pulled the transmission plug by accident I need to put the tranny fluid back in

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Subaru. The Subaru Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

I need to know where and how to put tranny fluid back in

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Nothing I messed it up I want instruction before going any further

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Subaru
3/6/2016
Subaru Mechanic: tamaz, Subaru master technician replied 2 years ago
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician

Hi, the under carriage can be a little confusing ,we get about two a month in the shop.Give a little info like model and year please,thanks

2016 Subaru Forester automatic

Thanks, ***** ***** long did you let it run out?

I have not let it run I won't do a thing until I get the tranny fluid back in

Sorry I meant when you pulled the transmission plug how long did you let the fluid flow.

About ten seconds
Hello

Ok ,thanks you probably only lost a quart or two then I would think.Under the car on the drivers side there is a plastic shield that runs almost the length of the transmission , the fill plug is on the side of the transmission removing it will give more access to the plug,since the plug is on the side of the trans you will need to pump fluid into it,do you have tools to do this?

Pump fluid into. No just gravity

Most auto part stores will sell a inexpensive pump to do this or you can attach a hose to the quart and squeeze it to fill it but this can get messy,anyways, the plug is on the drivers side near the rear of the trans it's a 8mm hex,the engine must be warmed up ,the transmission fluid temp needs to be about 95 degrees ,you dont have the equipment to track this but lets say you run engine about 10 minuets to warm up fluid while the engine is running remove the plug and fill till fluid begins to run from the fill plug area, once this is done the transmission is full.The fluid should be compatible for Subaru's it is green in color if you go to a auto parts store ,or the dealer will carry it in quarts.