Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

My 2016 forester will not shift out of park. the abs drive…

Customer Question
my 2016 forester will not...
my 2016 forester will not shift out of park. the abs drive dynamics hill start lights all come on and "need to be checked"
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Subaru
3/5/2016
Subaru Mechanic: Kevin, Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic

Hi im kevin do brake lights work ?

Hi, Kevin. No, brake, tail, and license plate lights are out. I've found the bypass switch to get out of park and I am on my way to get replacement 15a fuses
I was - perhaps foolishly - trying to replace my tail lights with LEDs) I've since put the original incandescent bulbs back in.

Thats likely the cause if you have no brake lights .replace fuse and let me know what you find

Really? I figured that out yesterday, with no help from the "expert", but from Google and some friends. I have already asked for a refund. You see, I paid extra for an immediate response. Almost 20 hours is hardly immediate.
What you could have done is this: "Hi im kevin do brake lights work ? Because if they don't then that is the likely cause. The Subaru has an interlock and when the brake light fuse goes, then the ABS, Vehicle Dynamics, and Hill Assist are all locked out."
Then you could have told me about the interlock override next to the gear shift and of course, replacing the fuse.
That is expert help, Kevin. That.
Best of luck.
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic