Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I drive a Subaru Outback 2.5i 2005 and have a problem (among…

Customer Question
Hi, I drive a Subaru...
Hi, I drive a Subaru Outback 2.5i 2005 and have a problem (among many others). When I shift, the RPM stay high during a full second or more. Makes shifting not fun and wears the clutch because I don't control the rpm when releasing the pedal. A mechanic changed the neutral switch, but it's worse. Before, the problem was betwen 4th and 5th, now it happens during every shift from 1st to 5th. Ennoying.
Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Subaru
3/3/2016
Subaru Mechanic: George H., Subaru Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
George H.
George H., Subaru Certified Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

It sounds like the throttle plate is closing slowly. This is a motor driven plate so it may be dirty and sticking so it does not close properly, if it is you can clean it. If you are uncomfortable have the shop clean it for you.

Other than that check for any binding of the throttle pedal, if it returns normally the throttle plate should as well.

Let me know how I can help you with your questions

Thank you