Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

08 oBXT stalls after starting. runs only a few seconds.

Customer Question
08 oBXT stalls after...

08 oBXT stalls after starting. runs only a few seconds. checked MAF, new fuel pump, no codes. was happening only here and there, now will only start and run 1 out of 20 starts. thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Recently new timing and water pump, all pulleys. car drove perfectly after that work.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Subaru
3/2/2016
Subaru Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 2 years ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

On most engines the engine is equipped with a crank position sensor and if this sensor is failing it will cause this issue here.This is also common to not set a fault code in some cases when it fails.One way to check this usually is to have a scan tool connected to your vehicle to first check for fault codes then from there any codes set diagnosed and repaired,the scan tool can also be used to check for an engine rpm signal.If there is no rpm signal when you crank over the engine and the engine does not start then the crank sensor needs replaced.With all that has been done and checked here I suspect this as the cause.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, forgot to mention I replaced the crank position sensor when the timing belt was changed. Last night previous to asking the question here I tried the old one and have the same issue. car starts, tach goes up, runs 5 secs and shuts off. no code. also tested that the car is recognizing the key. Thanks

O.k.,this is a difficult question for me to answer myself here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician