Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

1998 Outback, began to have a miss, check engine light came…

Customer Question
1998 Outback, began to...

1998 Outback, began to have a miss, check engine light came on. Diagnostic code said fouled plug #2 cylinder, replaced sparkplug, the engine ran fine for several miles then began to miss again and check engine came on and started to blink, shut engine down. Restarted engine later, no miss at idle, but begins to miss at stop with brake on (automatic transmission).

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Subaru. The Subaru Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

If it is a simple remedy

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Subaru Mechanic should be aware of about your Subaru?

About 230,000 miles on engine not sure when the timing belt was replaced

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Subaru
2/29/2016
Subaru Mechanic: Mike V., Subaru Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

Hi there,

This may be a simple plug wire and ignition coil issue. Sometimes a spray bottle with water can help determine if it's the problem. With the engine running, spray some water on the ignition coil. If the misfire happens or you can see sparks arcing then you need to replace the coil.

If the spark plug wire had oil on it where it connects to the spark plug, this could also be the problem. The oil makes the rubber soft and then the spark can arc through it to the cylinder head.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Hi there,

Do you need further assistance with this?

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician