Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

My 2008 impreza had been sitting without battery three

Customer Question
My 2008 impreza had...

My 2008 impreza had been sitting without battery for about three months and when I put the new battery the alarm goes on and no light when turning ignition

Mechanic's Assistant: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Subaru Mechanic will know what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

My 2008 impreza had been sitting without battery for about three months and when I put the new battery the alarm goes on and no light when turning ignitionRead more: http://www.justanswer.com/subaru/61i42-subaru-impreza-outback-sport-problems-replacing.html#ixzz41KMK1RYK

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Just put the new battery and now disconnected\ it

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Subaru
2/27/2016
Subaru Mechanic: Mike V., Subaru Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

Hi there,

Try connecting the battery and then use the key fob to turn the alarm off.

Please try this and let me know.

Didn't work

When you do this, try it with the hood closed as well as all the doors. It may not work if the hood is open. If you tried this already, let me know.

I will try it now, but do mean locked door or just closed?

If the fob will work, close the doors, then lock them with the fob and unlock them. The alarm should go off. If the alarm stays on and the doors won't unlock, then use the key in the driver door and hold it in the unlock position for a few seconds and see if the alarm stops.

didn't work at all
you as an expert should have certain procedure for Subaru Impreza, becuase I went online and found similar issues but no solutions.
I don't want to just try and end up taking it to the dealer and paying pain on ass

Ok, I am not going to be able to help you with this sorry to say. The car may have lost the programming without a battery for so long. Or it's not a factory system. Sorry, but if you cannot disable the alarm even using the key in the door, there is some other issue going on.

Please allow me to open it back up to the other experts. Perhaps one has conquered this and will be able to assist.

Please don't reply back or rate as it will lock the question right back to me and no one else will see it.

The car has a factory alarm and never been modified and had any issue. We were away of the country for almost three months and now, we wanted to use the car, so I just grabbed a new battery and replaced it, but it won't even show ignition light.The only thing, I missed to mention is that, I unplug both battery cables before leaving, hoping the battery won't drain...
Subaru Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Does the key fob not work?

Do the headlamps come on and are they normal brightness?

What exact symptoms are you having along with the engine not starting?

both fobs not working,headlights are on as well rear lightwhen turning key in ignition; it doesn't show any light in the dash

Do you have a digital voltmeter?

I can grab one from Canadian tire, it's just a fews minutes away from my home

Great!

GREAT ! !what do I have to do next once I get the digital voltmeter?

The first thing we need to do is check battery voltage at rest, with the headlamps on for two minutes, and then again after the lights have been off for a minute.

hey,the battery is new and once I connect both cables the alarm horn starts so loudy............
I can't turn it off by the remote, I meant both remote are not responding. I even changed one remote battery and still not responding, so it's not the remotes at all

I missed that the battery was replaced for this problem.

Do you a full capability scan tool? A scan tool is going to be necessary to diagnose and repair the problem from this point.

Have the fobs been tested?

fobs are good

How was that determined?

how can a scan tool work, if you turn igintion on and no power at all, nothing works after replacing the new battery and alarm is active now

A scan tool will be needed to check for communication with modules, look at data and read fault codes. If the fobs have been tested and are transmitting then deeper testing involving a scan tool at the least will be necessary.

if I turn ignition and no power, how would you a scan tool communicate without power?The moment I put the battery cables, alarm is triggered and WEWEWEWE

The fact that items don't turn on with the key doesn't mean that the data link connector doesn't have power and the communication bus is down.

If I am good and have the appropriate knowledge and tools, then why I am paying you guys ! ! !I will take it the dealer and save myself money and time.Thanks

Unfortunately we don't have the capability to control what testing or equipment is necessary to diagnose or repair a problem. There isn't a way to diagnose or repair an electrical problem without the capability to do electrical testing unfortunately. If you don't have test equipment or the ability to test then a dealer will most likely charge one hour of labor to diagnose it.

I believe the issue is with the alarm security, so it needs deactivating and or resetting....the car is excellent never had any issue, I parked it for a long time, battery died, replaced a new battery and alarm is on

Factory security can be disarmed by pressing the unlock button on a key fob or by unlocking a door manually with the key. Factory security wouldn't affect any other systems or prevent items from coming on when the key is turned on.

Oh I seeThanks anyway

You're welcome.