Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I have a 95 Subaru Impreza outback. I can start the vehicle…

Customer Question
I have a 95 Subaru...
I have a 95 Subaru Impreza outback. I can start the vehicle but when I depress the brake it will not allow me to put it in gear. When I turn off the car the steering wheel doesn't lock. Any ideas??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Subaru
2/24/2016
Subaru Mechanic: tamaz, Subaru master technician replied 2 years ago
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician

Hi,do you know if the brake lamps are operating?Any problems manually overriding the shift interlock?Any aftermarket equipment on the car?

Brake lamps are working fine. No problems overriding the shift interlock and the vehicle is all stock. No modifications made to this vehicle.

Thanks,the next step would be to remove the center console so you can get access to the shift lock solenoid to check for voltages,most times we see good voltage at the solenoid but find the solenoid will not fully move because the plunger that releases the shifter is coated with soda,coffee and other things that make it sticky especially in colder temps,the fix is still to replace it,thanks for your time.

tamaz
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician