Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I installed a new timing belt. it lines up great, I try to…

Customer Question
I installed a new...

I installed a new timing belt. it lines up great, I try to start it and it jumps again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Subaru. The Subaru Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

It wont stay in time when you crank it. I line it up and turn it by hand and it stays, I crank it and it jumps

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

New belt and idlers

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Subaru Mechanic should be aware of about your Subaru?

I rotated everything by hand and everything seems ok

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Subaru
2/19/2016
Subaru Mechanic: Lou P., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician

hello, sorry for the delay. so what year and model and engine are you working on.

1996 legacy outback 2.5 eng

OK thanks, ***** ***** replaced the tensioner as well?

HERE Is the diagram, what parts did you replace and did you set the tensioner correctly?

no not the tensioner but I changed the idlers
I collapsed the tensioner as per the book

OK and did it retension?

a belt will come off for 2 reasons, loose tensioner or misaligned pulleys

it extended when I pulled out the pin and the belt seemed to tighten

were your instructions like these here?

is there any wetness near the tensioner? it should not be able to be compressed easily. i am willing to bet you are correct in the timing but should replace the tensioner as well, the new one should come compressed already.

I did not move the tensioner after I installed the belt

Ok you need to watch the tensioner as you crank the engine , to see if the tensioner is moving a little too much. Also why did you replace the timing belt ?

I assumed it jumped time and so while I was in there I fiqured I should

ok the tensioner needs to be replaced before you do anything else. And slowly rotate the engine by hand to see how it acts. If it jumps again then you may have the timing off and valves are hitting Pistons. This is what I see happening. So do the tensioner. Hope this information helps. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.