Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

Having a problem with my 2000 suburu legacy, cranking but no…

Customer Question
Having a problem with...

Having a problem with my 2000 suburu legacy , cranking but no start....

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Car one day wouldn't start, tried repeatedly to start it but it just cranks. I took the air cleaner off and sprayed fuel in the injection system and it started but only for a few seconds.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Subaru
Not sure how to determine if this could be a ignition or fuel problem. Good place to start?
2/17/2016
Subaru Mechanic: Mike V., Subaru Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

HI there,

How many miles do you have on the car?
Also, was the check engine light on when it was running?

Ok, this shouldn't cause it to not start unless there is a wiring issue to the fuel pump.

I would start by spraying some carb cleaner or starting fluid directly into the throttle body, then crank the engine. If you have park, the car should spit and sputter a bit until it runs out. Then we will know to troubleshoot the fuel pump and injection. If it doesn't then you likely have no spark and we can trouble shoot that.

Start here and let me know the outcome, then we can take it from there.

Thanks.

I have tried that earlier today and it does start and spudder for a few seconds then dies.
Thank you for your responses by the way, been working on this for a few....

Ok, it's a good sign then and you are very welcome.

Next, pull the fuel line off the fuel filter and see if there is fuel coming out while cranking. If possible get a container for the gas to go into and get a helper to crank. It should only pump fuel for a few seconds unless the engine is being cranked.

Let me know.

OK did the test. No fuel coming out of line

Ok,

Well, since you have the temp sensor code, it's possible there is a wiring issue back to the fuel pump, but the first thing I would suggest is checking the fuel level. Take the back seat bottom out and remove the pump cover and even the pump if you would like to check it and make sure there is gas. I know it makes me sound like a smart arse, but I once sold a fuel pump to only find out the car was out of gas when I took the pump out. Sometimes the gauge can be wrong. Either way, we are going to need to get to the wiring to make sure your getting power back there.

I need to know if it's a legacy outback or a legacy L to check the wiring diagram and if it's an auto or manual.

Gauge says half a tank, but I will check just in case. That is a possibility that I haven't considered, thank you.And it's a suburu outback, manual

Ok, do you have a test light?

Is there fuel?

Hey sorry about that, going to have to call it a night. Starting to storm, and we are working in the driveway. I will start again in the morning if the weather subsides. And I did check, And there is fuel.Talk soon, Thanks again.

Ok and not a problem at all. I should be online in the morning Eastern time, then have to take some time off and will be back in the afternoon.

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician