Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

Just swaped motors in a 2002 forester with a 2.5. i got

Customer Question
spark, check with a noid...
just swaped motors in a 2002 forester with a 2.5. i got spark, check with a noid got juice at the injectors. when i turn the key i here the fuel pump cycle on for about 3 sec. then it shuts off. i have no pressure at the engine.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Subaru
2/16/2016
Subaru Mechanic: Mike V., Subaru Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

Hi there,

Do the injectors pulse when you crank the engine?
Did you get the engine from a 02 model?

using a noid the injectors pulse.the engine is from a 2004

Ok, can you do me a favor and just spray some carb cleaner or starting fluid into the intake and see if the car fires for a few seconds. Pulsing indicates to me that it's seeing the cam and crank sensor which should keep the fuel pump running.

Please try this and let me know.

sprayed starting fluid,no fire

Did you change the timing belt on this engine or anything?

Can you pull a plug wire and check for spark please

i did not do any thing with the timing, and yes i do have spark. i changed the crank sensor but not the cam

Ok, if you have spark and injector pulse the engine should try to fire on the starting fluid even if the fuel pump is not working. Since it didn't I would question if it is sparking more then one time and if the timing is actually on.

Do you have a compression tester so you could try a compression test on the engine? Also, the cam sensor could be the issue, but typically it would be more of a difference in the cam sprocket and not the cam sensor. If you still have the old engine it wouldn't be a bad idea to swap the cam sensors just to see if there is a difference. Those model yr changes in the engine the cam sprocket may be one of the changes. Honestly though usually I see the the noid light flash once only and then no more pulse.

the cam sensors are the same. i pulled 1 plug 120 psi.

Pull the cover and check the timing belt, min psi should be 148 psi, 120 is to low and could indicate it's off a tooth or two. This would explain the spark and injector pulse but not firing on the starting fluid.

makes sense, this is going to take awhile.i'll be in touch.

Sounds good and take your time. Also, if there is any aftermarket alarm on the car, disable it!