Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I'm having trouble with my 2009 Subaru Outback XT. I am

Customer Question
Hi Mike, I'm having trouble...
Hi Mike, I'm having trouble with my 2009 Subaru Outback XT. I am getting shift shock in the transmission and I have had some diagnostics done by a Subaru dealer and the code thrown is P1710. I know what the code means as I have a complete service manual. The main issue is that the problem is intermittent and the dealer can't pinpoint the exact problem. Either the valve body or the TCM could be at fault, but my research points to the valve body. When I was driving yesterday the usual shift shock occurred between 1-2-3rd gear and the code was thrown and the car entered the safe mode. I was in manual mode at the time. Then after 15min driving at around 50mph the car came back to life and selected 2nd gear in manual mode (I hadn't moved the shifter). I then put it back to D and all was good for the rest of the day. So strange that the problem fixes it self...anyway any help or advice from you would be much appreciated. Regards, Chris.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Subaru
I must clarify my last point, I find it strange that the problem fixes it self 'sometimes'.
2/15/2016
Subaru Mechanic: cloe0626, Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic

sounds like th valve body is sticking

Can you please expand with your answer?
Subaru Mechanic: tamaz, Subaru master technician replied 2 years ago
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician

Hi,the code P1710 as you know deals with a malfunction of the turbine speed signal of the torque converter,the wiring from the valve body to the TCM may also be at fault here but my past experiences found the valve body to be the fault.My strategy would be to inspect the connectors on top of the transmission and TCM for any loose pins, corrosion etc... if nothing is found wiggle the harness going from the top of trans to the valve body pay particular attention where the wiring passes through the inside of the trans we see some wiring faults here then drive to see if problem continues if so my bet would be a internal fault in the turbine sensor which unfortunately is part of the valve body,thanks let me know if you need some more help .