Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

When I am at the gas station and (attempt) to fill up my

Customer Question
wrx, if I don't pump...
When I am at the gas station and (attempt) to fill up my wrx, if I don't pump super slow, the filler neck fills up with gas and the pump stops from the back pressure. I've replaced the charcoal canister and the vapor valve, and checked to see if any of the hoses are blocked, I'm at a loss as to what else it could be and would appreciate some help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Subaru
2/10/2016
Subaru Mechanic: tamaz, Subaru master technician replied 1 year ago
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician

Hi ,at the charcoal canister there are 3 hoses the smaller one is the purge line ,on the canister the other 2 hoses are marked drain and fuel tank,while you are refueling remove the hose marked fuel tank if you can fuel normally the problem is most likely between the canister and the vent going into frame rail,if not its from the hose to the tank, hope this helps ,thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there anything else on that hose that goes from the canister to the tank. I took all three hoses off just to be sure,and no different in pumping.

Hi, yes there is a vent valve that this hose goes to,that is why I had you remove it ,it splits the system in half .The problem must be with this valve is stuck not allowing proper venting,the tank needs to be removed to replace this,thanks for your time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you talking about the valve that's bolted on along with the filter right next to the canister? That's called a vent valve and I've replaced it before and I took it off the day blew it and I was able to.

Hi. no this vent valve is on top of the tank here's a pic it's #34 on the fuel tank, your problem is eiher wih his valve or a obstruction in the hose going to it

tamaz
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician