Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I'm replacing the rear differential bushings on a 01 legacy…

Customer Question
I'm replacing the rear differential...
I'm replacing the rear differential bushings on a 01 legacy gt. I've removed the old bushings and have started pressing in the new ones. I'm stuck on the first one. It's stuck halfway in and snapped the bolt that I was using to press it. They are oem bushings. The question is am I doing anything wrong and would afyermarket poly bushings be a better/easier fit?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Subaru
I used axle grease for lube. I use a half inch bolt through the middle of the bushing with several washers surrounding the metal housing to press it in.
Also, would using a torch to heat up the housing of the sub frame melt the bushing itself?
2/2/2016
Subaru Mechanic: tamaz, Subaru master technician replied 2 years ago
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician

Hi, the bushings your speaking of are not shown separately in my manual,we are talking about the bar that supports the rear of the differential, correct?Heat will melt the bushing and will render it useless,from what I can find the support is sold with the bushings,thanks Ive attached a picture the part I'm speaking of is labeled #1

I don't see a label. The 2 side by side massive bushings that the differential goes through on the sub frame

Those are not listed because they are part of the sub frame to my knowledge