Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I have a 19190 subaru legacy that has a new alternator that…

Customer Question
I have a 19190 subaru...
I have a 19190 subaru legacy that has a new alternator that is working but the battery which is good will not take a charge. I charge the battery and the car runs till the battery is dead. All new connections also.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Subaru
1/29/2016
Subaru Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician

Hell, Can I ask how you are confirming the alternator is working? I realize new but to proceed we may need a volt meter in your hands, Let me know, thanks,Randall

We went thru three alternators and the last one was tested with a meter plus we took it back to the store and they tested it and it is good. Like I said the battery is also new and has been checked. When I drive it deletes the battery and will not take a charge from the alternater.

Very sorry for the delay, Also, i did not mean "hell" I meant "Hello" , sorry for that, was a typo, I fully understand the problem but only way to help is some testing with volt meter, I had asked if you have one, if not can you get one?

i don't but my friend a mechanic does I will have to get a hold of him.

if possible, that would be great, Pls understand you have replaced things to no avail so next step is to do some on car tests, LMK, I will be on/off all day

my friend is on the way over and should be able to understand these test it is 523 right now
maybe you can list test for him to do when he gets here. by the way let run yesterday after I charged the battery ran for a hour and a half shut it off then nothing this morning it started only to shut off in about 15 minutes then nothing again

lets wait a bit. no rush,

ok my friend is here what test do you want him to do

1st, put meter on battery terminals, engine running, I need voltage at battery terminals

it is 13
ok we quit for the night will be back at 8 or so tomorrow.

I was looking at diagrams, ok tomorrow

we have tried everything the alternator is working but with everything on it is only putting out 12 volts and the battery is picking up the same we think it is the computer your thought

well we have to keep moving with tests, that is what I was awiting on you for, so,, is car near you? can we do tests? or another time

the car is here I will get back to you thanks for your help so far

ok, i am on/off all day tomorrow, some of day on Friday 1/2 day Sat

are you on

I know you have on bIg wire hooked to back of the alternator but you have 3-4 smaller ones in a a plug, I need the plug removed, key ON, I need t you to probe the connector and tell me the volts at each wire and if volts, what wire colors have the 12 volts

ok I will do this was gone yesterday and it's pouring today so maybe tomorr

ok

Ok there are two wires the yellow had 12.07 the black with white stripe had 11.55
ARE YOU ON

ok and the big wire at back? its reading? just trying to recap. and do you have guage or battery light?

the big wire is 12.24 i have a digital multimeter

still need to know if guage on dash or light on dash for charging system. thanks

with the key on but not started the check engine light is on and the battery light

ok, so you know it is not charging, did we do battery charge volts at the battery?

ok what do you want me to do now

I am doing all volts test, I need the following: do you have a reading of volts with meter on battery terminals with engine running? also you do not have a white wire in small plug at alternator? if not are there 3 spots in that plug, you only sent 2 wire colors

volt is 12.60 there are three wires the big white one a yellow one and a black wire with white stripe

I am not getting all answers, you may be missing my questions. I asked this:

if not are there 3 spots in that plug, you only sent 2 wire colors

9 Feb 2016, 1:00 PM

ok i have to go back to work back at 6pm and home from 945am till 100pm if we can work on it then. thanks the plug has three wires one big white one reading 12.24, small yellow reading 12.07, black with white stripe reading 11.58. Battery with car running 12.60

you should have a plug as well as a stud separate from the plug, plug has some wires, the stud has a wire, is this what you have? get with me when you can

just checked the stud wire it is white
that is what i have

I am so sorry we are not communicatiing well. It's my fault.I am trying to ask and explain, It is very important I get voltage readings on ALL wires that go to the alter including the one hooked to the stud, You have said 2 wires, then 3 then 2 so I am a little confused so start over, Please send volts on ALL wires going to the alternator with key on and what wire has what volts. Hope this makes sense, Thanks

oK SMALL YELLOW 12.05, SMALL BLACK 11.54, large white 12.17, stud white wire 12.18

honestly? I am at a loss, You have power to every spot you need,Unless an alt is bad, I know of no other reason for not chhaging and.. know you have changed the alt several times so... since you have sent all this, I will opt out, open the post to the other experts, One should be along soon to continue

thanks we knew the alternater was putting out but the battery is not taking the charge someone must have seen this before
Subaru Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago
Andrew Martin

Hello, maybe I can help. Earlier in your conversation with Randall I see that you said you measured 13 volts with the vehicle running. The minimum you should see is 13.5 volts but really should be 14 volts or higher. If you can put the black contact from the volt meter on the negative battery terminal, and the red contact on the alternator stud and give me a voltage reading with the vehicle running that would take the battery out of the equation and give an accurate reading of what the alternator is putting out. Also, is it possible that the wrong amperage alternator was installed?

Hello the reading is 11.64. How do I find out if the wrong alternator was installed. It is the one the part store said fit my car
When we first installed the alternator we got 14.5 volts then as it ran it slowly dropped to 12.5. That was at the alternator.
Now this is a new battery that I have put a full charge on and had 12 volts then I let the car run with everything on and now the battery is dropped down.My mechanic and the part store are saying it could be the computer.
some other info when this happened the alternator bearing was loud and going out . New alternator then the part store replaced the battery too. Car quit again said the alternator was defective replaced, car won't start again alternator checked defective again now this one they say is working but it is not charging the battery all cables replaced also.
Subaru Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

As far as I can tell from the diagram there is no computer involved in the charging system. Have you checked the alternator fuses?

Subaru Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Is this a 1990 legacy?

this is a 1990 subaru legacy and we checked fuses but which ones are for the alternator
would those be the 45 amp fuses in the engine fuse box
I have to go back to work my mechanic talk to a guy he knows he said it my be the ignition relay what do you think.
Subaru Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Yes they should be, I believe they are or at least should have been labeled ALT 1 and ALT 2. It'd be best to just check all of the fuses anyway. I doubt it, I've never seen an ignition relay cause that. If you are buying remanufactured alternators it is completely possible that they have all been faulty. If the alternator is not putting out enough voltage then the alternator is really the only possible issue, aside from the fuses.

Subaru Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Any luck?

Alright the fuses are all good the alternator is only putting out 11.56 voltage so I think I will try to get a new alternator instead of remanufacture and see if that solves the problem will get back to you.
Subaru Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Ok sounds good

Ok new alternator putting out only 11 volts when loaded car will idle for about ten minutes then stall out and will not start without a jump. Codes coming up are 11 crank angle sensor, 22 knock sensor, 23 air flow sensor, 35 canister purge solenoid value, 42 idle switch, 51 neutral switch. My book said that these sensors could be effective by one bad one. So help please
.
Subaru Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Ok, unfortunately I don't think ill be able to help you so in gonna open it up to other experts

pleaSE GET ONE THAT KNOWS WHAT THIS COULD BE
Why would I give you $50 more when I have not got any result but to tell me to buy a new alternator which I did that did not solve the problem. So I have two alternators now and it cost me over $150 for the new one that did nothing more then the remanufature. I got no more from your experts then I already knew.
no one knows what could cause this if i had it in your shop what would you do.
ok he turned it over to someone else, you said I should get a response here or email in 24 hours. That was the 20th and today is the 24th that is four days so if you have no one to answer my question just refund my money.
I solved the problem no thanks to any of you what a waste of my fifteen dollars won't ever use this stupid site again i'm not satisfied refund my money,
Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin