Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

I am experiencing the original stated problem. Engine is on

Customer Question
i am experiencing the original...
i am experiencing the original stated problem.
Engine is on a stand out of the vehicle.
I have a 2001 Subaru 2.5 SOHC engine. The engine and heads are recently rebuilt.
so with the timing belt installed, and timing mark all in proper location, and spark plugs removed, I can only get a little less than a 1/4 turn, before resistance is meet and main crank will not rotate any further, or at least not without me being scared of bending valves or breaking something else.
Unfortunately I can't blame the car being in gear as the problem?
all three rotate freely individually.
thanks for the help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Subaru
1/28/2016
Subaru Mechanic: john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician

did the lower end rotate fine prior to the heads being installed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it did
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
correct.

it should take a little force.. unless something is hanging up..if its in time its in time... you have 2 choices crank a little harder or tear down and verify the rotating assembly is undamaged

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
little force? have a guess at what lbs/ft would be to much force?

100 ish

if everything is correct and it hits then r timing is not correct

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yeah its way over that

like how hard are you pushing ? breaker bar?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ha no breaker bar, but big torque wrench.

and how many ft lbs is it at

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks for the help.. think I'm just going to take it tomorrow. maybe figure out this mess. cheers!

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you

john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto