Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

I'm a 2002 Subaru Impreza Outback 2.5 L owner
, I'm

Customer Question
Customer: Hello, I'm a 2002...
Customer: Hello, I'm a 2002 Subaru Impreza Outback 2.5 L owner
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm having some car issues...my car cranks but won't start. My friend is a mechanic and he recently checked it out. So far I bought a new battery and alternator and still have the same issues He also mentioned that the starter is not the problem and that it's an electrical problem
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Subaru Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: of course
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Subaru
1/18/2016
Subaru Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hi there,

Can you check if the timing belt is intact, and tight?

Remove the LH timing cover for easy check.

Gary

Timing belt is fine...my mechanic changed the alternator and says the starter is not an issue.
He also test out the ignition coil and says there are no issuse there...he believes it's an electrical problem

Sounds like immobiliser.

How many keys do you have?

Is the engine light on prior to cranking?

Gary

only the orginal...yes been on for months now

Ok, can you and your mechanic scan the car for any codes set please?

Will it start with a sniff of starter fluid into the throttle body?

Gary

I have no idea...have to wait until I speak with him. He orginally told me that it was the crankshaft position sensor, but he didn't sound too positive to me.
he just told me theres no spark so it won't start (pertaining to adding starter fluid into the throttle body question).

Did it have a code set for crankshaft position sensor?

If has no crank position OR incorrect camshaft position, the engine will not start.

No crankshaft gives no fuel and no spark, incorrect or no cam signal gives fuel, but at the wrong time in the cycle.

Gary

my mechanic has a handheld code reader devices...all the fuses are workly properly and it only reads: 'error' everytime.

Ok, you say the light has "been on for months now".

Was the engine light on while driving prior to this no-start condition?

You need to establish communication with the car, so either you have an immobiliser issue or no power supply to the immobiliser and/or ecm.

Please check for ignition 12v at pin 1 of the DLC, ground at pin 12&13.

Gary

the engine light been on prior to this no-start condition. and i will let my mechanic know about this...

Can you also ask whether his scan tool does work with other cars as well.

Have seen many do this only to realize there is a fault with their tool.

His code reader has worked in the past with my car. (waiting for his response)

Ok, I'll wait for you.

Gary

he replied: "every car"

Have we got power at pin 1 of the DLC?

Have we checked SBF-5 fuse in the engine bay?

Gary

Hi again,

How have you gone with your problem?

Hope I was of some assistance.

Gary

Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician