Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

I have a 2007 Subaru Tribeca that was having overheating

Customer Question
Customer: I have a 2007...
Customer: I have a 2007 Subaru Tribeca that was having overheating problems. I had the radiator replaced only to have the car back in the shop two weeks later and now they are saying the head gasket is blown. I have been reading about the head gasket problems in Subarus. My questions ...is it worth getting the head gaskets replaced or is this just going to happen again in another 20K ***** *****.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The car has about 150K ***** ***** on it. We noticed a coolant leak and had the radiator replaced. A couple weeks later my wife was driving the car when smoke started coming from the engine and it was overheating. There was coolant sprayed all over the engine. My mechanic is saying that the ppressure from the blown head gasket is what caused the failure of the radiator. He is suggesting either to replace the head gasket or replace the engine with a used one.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Subaru Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Subaru
1/3/2016
Subaru Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 2 years ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

First confirm it with a compression/ cylinder test, then get an estimate of what really needs to be fixed. If it does get too expensive, then a new motor may be a better idea.

Thanks, Ron

If Subarus are known to have HG problems is it a bad idea to replace them with the same defective parts. Has that been satisfactorily addressed by Subaru?

The parts have been updated, so you will have a better part going in it now.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor