tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

Aleksey. Baja 2005. Starts and stalls right away. found this

Customer Question

Customer: Aleksey. Baja 2005. Starts and stalls right away. found this article. maybe it will help
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: first cold start is good. RPMs will hover around 2.5k until it warms up and then drops to around 1.3k . I will drive somewhere and the second start will start the car, but then almost immediately it stalls. I can rev the engine at around 1.5k RMPs for couple of mins and then it will not stall and I can drive
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Subaru Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi,has anything been done recently to the car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Within last 9 mo I have replaced valve cover gasket, timing belt, spark plugs and some mechanical parts like CV boot axle and bearing on front right wheel. Valve cover gasket was leaking and flooded my spark plugs and car would sputter while driving. After replacing valve cover gasket and spark plugs spattering stopped. The issue with stalling after starting came up about 7 months later. Btw, it's a manual if that matters. Thanks.
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi,a couple of things come to mind here,first and foremost the battery and charging system must be in good order before we go any further also because this is a standard trans I've found in the past the neutral switch on the transmission hangs up causing the ecm to think its in neutral when you are in gear causing this concern.