Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

99 Subaru Forester won't start. Lights and all accessories

Customer Question
Customer: 99 Subaru Forester won't...
Customer: 99 Subaru Forester won't start. Lights and all accessories work, battery replaced 1.5 years ago. Everything dims when turning key, no clicking from starter area. Bypassed ignition switch and battery cable with jumper wire still not turning over.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 99 Forester manual transmission 2.5L engine replaced 7 years and 86k miles ago
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Subaru Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: not going anywhere
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Subaru
12/30/2015
Subaru Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hi there,

Have you jumpered 12 volts to the solenoid tag and the starter makes no sound, correct?

If that is the case, your solenoid is faulty.

If the solenoid does engage, then can you turn the engine by hand with a breaker bar and socket?

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
nope. but lights dim as if there is a load when key is turned.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
car is not handy to try

Ok, when you get a chance, can you remove the solenoid wire and jumper 12v to the solenoid tag.

Engine should then crank without starting, if key off.

Engine should start if key on.

Can you then measure the voltage at the starter solenoid tag while in the crank position?

Gary

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
will try tomorrow

Ok, I'll hear from you when you are ready.

Gary

Kevin C.
Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.