Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
2947720

1992 Honda Civic 1.98cc (?) engine. 200,000 mileage. A week

Customer Question

1992 Honda Civic 1.98cc (?) engine. 200,000 mileage. A week ago, and for the first time, it failed to start immediately. Took to auto repair shop. And $400 later, they said they fixed it. Got it home OK but now, less than a week later, same problem. Will crank for a minute or two, then starts to run very rough with blue smoke. If it runs for awhile, it seems to smooth out. Smoke goes away and it will idle. Six to ten hours later, same things happens. Went and talked to the auto repair mechanic (??). He removed spark plugs and found excess fuel in all four cylinders. Check engine light on with code for ECU stored in memory (hard fault.) They replaced plugs, coolant temp sensor, reset ignition timing and checked engine vacuum. History: I have owned the car for 10 years. Normal maintenance (oil change, fluids, plugs, etc) and never had a problem. Always started immediately even if setting for a month or two. Always ran great and has never had a bolt touched under the hood. Your help would be appreciated.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

.

There has been a factory service bulletin, (not a recall) for that type of concern.

.

Here is a link to what it states. You can copy and paste it into a new browser and rate the answer on this page.

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kk4r2gkumyacie3/Long%20crank%20time.pdf?dl=0

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Questioning the solution to replace leaking fuel pump when problem is TOO much fuel (gasoline) in cylinders causing a "flooding or excessive fuel" in cylinders. Verified by pulling plugs and viewing tip of sparkplug being very "wet."
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

I see, thanks. That most likely wouldn't be a lack of fuel, right. Do you know which engine it is or do you have the VIN on it?

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Do you still want to get it sorted out?

.

How is the pressure? Fuel pressure regulator?