Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

My 2009 Outback is having power steering issues. There

Customer Question
Hello Mike, My 2009 Outback is...
Hello Mike,
My 2009 Outback is having power steering issues. There appears to be a fluid leak at the pump and the reservoir is overflowing. The pump started shuttering and groaning a few days ago. I added some power steering fluid, which helped for a few miles, then the groaning and shuttering came back. After looking under the hood, I found a puddle below the ps pump and there appeared t be some overflow from the reservoir as well. I've got about 110k miles on her now.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Subaru
12/26/2015
Subaru Mechanic: john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician

Sounds like the power steering pump has failed... Changing the pump and flushing the fluid should correct the issue..

Oil Pump
REMOVAL
1. H4 MODEL

1. Disconnect the ground cable from the battery.
  2. Remove the air intake duct.
  3. Remove the pulley belt cover.
  4. Loosen the belt tension securing bolt and generator securing bolt, then remove the power steering pump V-belt.

1. Disconnect the connector from the power steering pressure switch.
  2. Disconnect the pressure hose and suction hose from the oil pump.

CAUTION:

• Do not allow fluid to come into contact with the pulley belt.
  • To prevent foreign matter from entering the hose and pipe, cover the open ends with clean cloth.
  • Non-turbo model

• Turbo model

1. Remove the installation bolt of the power steering pump bracket.

1. Place the oil pump bracket in a vise, and remove the two bolts from the front side of the oil pump.

CAUTION: When securing the oil pump bracket in a vise, hold the oil pump bracket with the least possible force between two pieces of wood.

1. Remove the bolt from the rear side of oil pump.
  2. Disassemble the oil pump and bracket by inserting a flat tip screwdriver as shown in the figure.

2. H6 MODEL

2. Remove the cover of the pulley belt.
  3. Remove the V-belts.
  4. Remove the power steering pressure switch connector.
  5. Remove the tensioner adjuster.
  6. Disconnect the pressure hose and suction hose from the oil pump.

CAUTION:

• Do not allow fluid to flow from the hose end and contact the pulley belt.
  • To prevent foreign objects from entering the hose, cover the hose openings with a clean cloth.

1. Remove the bolts which holds the power steering pump bracket.

CAUTION: When securing the oil pump bracket in a vice, hold the oil pump bracket with the least possible force between two pieces of wood.

1. Remove the bolt from the back side of the oil pump.

1. Remove the oil pump from the bracket.

INSTALLATION
1. H4 MODEL

1. Install the oil pump to the bracket. Tightening torque: 15.7 N-m (1.6 kgf-m, 11. 6 ft-lb)

Tightening torque: 48.4 N-m (4.9 kgf-m, 35.7 ft-lb)

1. Attach the installation bolts of the power steering pump bracket. Tightening torque: Ref. to OIL PUMP, COMPONENT.

1. After installing the oil pump, fill the fluid while rotating the pulley by hand to bleed air from the oil pump.

CAUTION: Always fill the oil pump with the fluid to prevent abnormal noise and seizure of the oil pump.

1. Connect the pressure hose and suction hose. Tightening torque:

Eye bolt: 40 N-m (4.1 kgf-m, 29.5 ft-lb)

CAUTION: Be careful not to twist hoses. Twisted hoses may contact other parts.

• Non-turbo model

• Turbo model

1. Connect the power steering pressure switch connector.
  2. Install the V-belts to the oil pump.
  3. Check the tension of the V-belt.
  4. Tighten the lock bolt of the belt tension nut. Tightening torque: 25 N-m (2.5 kgf-m, 18.4 ft-lb)
  5. Install the pulley belt cover.
  6. Install the air intake duct.
  7. Connect the ground cable to battery.
  8. Fill with the specified power steering fluid

CAUTION: Never start the engine before filling with fluid; otherwise the vane pump may become seized.

2. H6 MODEL

Tightening torque: 37.3 N-m (3.8 kgf-m, 27.5 ft-lb)

1. Tighten the bolt which attaches the power steering pump bracket. Tightening torque:

2. Install the tensioner adjuster.
    3. Install the V-belts.
    4. Install the pulley belt cover.
    5. Connect the ground cable to battery.
    6. Pour the specified power steering fluid

1acfca1e-2c02-427e-aa7e-...gif1acfca1...gif9db09a03-7b26-4ac4-a252-...gif9db09a0...gif1c4aa1d2-8db4-4e1c-a6cd-...gif1c4aa1d...gifb6c10628-1824-408f-b570-...gifb6c1062...gif84efe8af-7b20-4329-8ed1-...gif84efe8a...gif

thought you replaced the switch because the key broke?

john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto