FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

How does a crankshaft fail on a Subaru wrx, and will Subaru

Customer Question

How does a crankshaft fail on a Subaru wrx, and will Subaru cover this under there factor warranty
Category: Subaru
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** for the question. If the engine is still under warranty this will be covered unless there is neglect or abuse shown. Most of the time on this engine the crank fails from the lack of oil changes or putting in a heavy duty clutch. I have seen them fail for no apparent reason also. If you fall within these guidelines you should be fine. Please let me know if you have further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are they going to look for in terms of neglect or abuse? I have not modified the car at all. It is 100percent stock.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

They are going to want to see evidence of maintenance being done on time and if the vehicle is all stock they will look at some of the data in the vehicles computer. It will log things like overheating and over revving. If they see this it can void the warranty on the car.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long does the computer store over revving for?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Typically it will record it indefinitely and log the date and time.