Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

I bought an 08 legacy parked it week and it wont start it is

Customer Question
I bought an 08 legacy...
I bought an 08 legacy parked it for a week and it wont start it is a standard shift thinking it could be security syst. has no juice to the starter or either switch on the clutch pedal don't know what to check next
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Subaru
12/12/2015
Subaru Mechanic: tamaz, Subaru master technician replied 2 years ago
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician

Hi ,are all lights on the dash illuminated with the key on?

How many keys came with the car ,if more than 1 did you try the others?

3 none work when turning to start lights in center of dash go out but ones around clyster don't even dim
2 keys have built in remote

With no voltage to either clutch switch we must explore testing all fuses ,you should have voltage going in,there are two fuse boxes one under the hood the other in the drivers compartment,check all including the bigger fuse links and let me know

all fuses seem to b ok the start fuse in drivers comp. on my 07 test hot when instart position 08 dosent

The body integrated unit may be at fault is there any aftermarket alarm on this vehicle?Any odd messages in the odometer reading or multifuntion display in the center of dash?

Sorry for all the questions but I have one more , did the battery go dead?

with key out security lite flashes 1 every 3 sec. key in it stops no flashing batt is good no aftermarket system no messages
the car had the engine out for a headgasket job about 3 to 4 weeks ago

It sounds like the body control module is reading key,with the engine being out the bulk harness had to be disconnected on passenger side of engine compartment, inspect all these connectors in this area even disconnect /reconnect to see if this makes a difference many ecm grounds run through this connector

I must step out for a short time Ill be back,thanks

the guy finished it drove it for about a week I bought it drove it home parked it and it was a week before I went back to it when u put key in it flashes 5 times and quits main harness unplugged &repluged no differance
was wondering if immobilzer could be problem & how to check
tried to roll it off didn't work

Immobilizer possible,if you have a code reader there may be a code stored for immobilizer fault,a more detailed scanner is need to read the body control codes,this type of problem leaves the DIY in the dark,specialized software from Subaru is necessary to register keys and rear data

tamaz
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician