tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

I bought an 08 legacy parked it week and it wont start it is

Customer Question

I bought an 08 legacy parked it for a week and it wont start it is a standard shift thinking it could be security syst. has no juice to the starter or either switch on the clutch pedal don't know what to check next
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi ,are all lights on the dash illuminated with the key on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

How many keys came with the car ,if more than 1 did you try the others?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 none work when turning to start lights in center of dash go out but ones around clyster don't even dim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 keys have built in remote
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

With no voltage to either clutch switch we must explore testing all fuses ,you should have voltage going in,there are two fuse boxes one under the hood the other in the drivers compartment,check all including the bigger fuse links and let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all fuses seem to b ok the start fuse in drivers comp. on my 07 test hot when instart position 08 dosent
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

The body integrated unit may be at fault is there any aftermarket alarm on this vehicle?Any odd messages in the odometer reading or multifuntion display in the center of dash?

Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for all the questions but I have one more , did the battery go dead?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with key out security lite flashes 1 every 3 sec. key in it stops no flashing batt is good no aftermarket system no messages
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the car had the engine out for a headgasket job about 3 to 4 weeks ago
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like the body control module is reading key,with the engine being out the bulk harness had to be disconnected on passenger side of engine compartment, inspect all these connectors in this area even disconnect /reconnect to see if this makes a difference many ecm grounds run through this connector

Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

I must step out for a short time Ill be back,thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the guy finished it drove it for about a week I bought it drove it home parked it and it was a week before I went back to it when u put key in it flashes 5 times and quits main harness unplugged &repluged no differance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
was wondering if immobilzer could be problem & how to check
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried to roll it off didn't work
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Immobilizer possible,if you have a code reader there may be a code stored for immobilizer fault,a more detailed scanner is need to read the body control codes,this type of problem leaves the DIY in the dark,specialized software from Subaru is necessary to register keys and rear data