Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

I have an 05 outback with a P0741 code. The 2-3 shift flares

Customer Question
a little bit as well...
I have an 05 outback with a P0741 code. The 2-3 shift flares a little bit as well. The transmission was swapped for a 130,000 mile used unit as the old transmission exhibited the same symptoms except for way worse.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Subaru
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/29/2015
Subaru Mechanic: tamaz, Subaru master technician replied 1 year ago
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician

Hi, the P0741 refers to a torque converter performance problem,the flow chart list many things to inspect but with the replacement of the transmission most thing are taken out of the equation.Was the torque converter replaced,how about the neutral switch that is mounted to the side of the transmission?One concern I've found that is related to transmission shifting is a faulty accelerator pedal ,the switch sometimes has a bad spot just like a throttle position sensor and causes codes and shifting concerns.Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a snap on solus scanner but it doesn't give me hardly any live data. I think the pedal position sensor diagnosis is good because the car tends to buck with the cruise control on and on flat ground. This was the same with both transmissions. We already swapped the throttle body out with another used unit and had the same results. Can you tell me which wires I need to ohm across to check the pedal for a dead spot?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I haven't messed with the neutral switch and the convertor was swapped along with the trans. Both were supposed to be good used units with 130k

Using the scanner see if position is smooth to WOT,check Throttle voltage on scanner should be 4.6 volts at WOT,you can remove pedal and check resistance at pins 1 &6 it should be .75-3.15k ohms 2 and 6 should read .15-1.05k ohms

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Alright. I will report back after I check this stuff. Thanks

Ok ,thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Between 2 and 6 the pedal has a nice smooth resistance change from .55-1.82k. 1-6 is stuck at 1.62 and does not change no matter what. This makes me believe that is the problem. However, doesn't the pcm need to see both of these be somewhat even or it will go into a failsafe mode?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also. I just adjusted it so the low end is at .28 on pins 2 and 6. This should give the pedal a better span as the top end is still 1.82

What type of voltage did you read on your scanner?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My scanner doesn't give me any in regards ***** ***** throttle position or the pedal. After adjusting the span to read the proper resiatances the pedal does nothing until it is about halfway down now.

Ok,the pedal seems to be the factor here,I agree that the ecm needs to see the values about the same so the throttle plate can be adjusted accordingly

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should I need to unhook the battery for the ecm to establish the new baseline correctly? I am surprised I am not getting a dtc for the pedal...

yes,you may not be getting a code because it is reading something

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am going to evaluate another pedal to see whether or not the resisitance between pins 1 and 6 does in fact change. It doesn't seem to me that the pedal should work if it needs to see both signals.

O.k let me know.

tamaz
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician