George H.
George H., Subaru Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15 + Years
13574682

My tail lights won't shut off. In a Subaru Forester 2007,

Customer Question

My tail lights won't shut off. In a Subaru Forester 2007, not parking lights switch, not the brake lights, disconnecting battery or tailclearance fuse will turn off at a dead end. If it is a relay or switch not sure which one
Category: Subaru
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

On top of the steering column behind the steering wheel is a toggle switch. Cycle that switch and it will turn the lights out so they will operate normally.

Please let me know if you have further questions

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean the parking lights switch and by cycle do you mean turn on and off?That's not doing anything
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

There are two park light switches, the one on top of the column is actually a European parking switch but is also present on the US spec vehicles.

When I say cycle I mean toggle it to the other position that it is in when the lights are on.

Let me know if you tried that

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that. The lights are still on
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

But you can pull the tail fuse and they shut off?

Only the tail lights not the front markers are on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can pull the tail fuse and they shut off. Only tail lights on.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Are the license plate lights on as well as the tail lights? They are fed out of the same fuse so if they are not on (you said only the tail lights are on?) then you have a wiring issue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The license plate lights are not on. I have gone into the head unit and unplugged the radio and they still stay on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tail lights not brake lights
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I would have to be at the car to diagnose this, it sounds like you have a wiring issue back feeding the tail circuit but they are also hard wired to the plate lights and if they are not on I don't know from the factory diagrams what is happening so I will OPT OUT of your question and maybe another tech will be able to help.

Please save your rating for a tech that can help, sorry I was not able to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You never answered my question in a satisfactory fashion or referred me. I want a refund