sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My name is ***** *****, and I have a 2002 Subaru WRX. I'm

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****, and I have a 2002 Subaru WRX. I'm investigating why my fog lights don't work.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well, they haven't worked properly since I bought the car last summer. At times, I've had one fog light, but never both. I've replaced the bulbs, so I know that's not the issue.
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Subaru Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The system is pretty simple, the lights are powered by a relay which is turned on and off by the switch without any module involvement. Your issue could be the fog lamp relay, a loss of power to it, the switch, or a wiring issue. If fuses are good ten there should be power to the relay.

If the relay clicks then the switch is operating. If you had one light that ws intermittently working then the relay and switch were operating at least at that time, which would indicate a wring or bulb issue. If the bulbs have been ruled out then the problem should be wiring.

The first thing you'll need to do is determine whether ti's power or ground you're missing at the bulbs and go from there. If the relay does click and has two power feeds yet there is no power at the lights then you have an open circuit between the relay and bulbs.