Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

I have a 2006 Subaru Outback and I have a situation where

Customer Question
the car runs fine, but...
I have a 2006 Subaru Outback and I have a situation where the car runs fine, but at idle it feels like there is a vibration particularly when my foot is on the brake. It is consistent and seems to come and go almost like it sounds like the car is revving
up, but it's not. I've also noticed if I take my foot off the brake it seems to subside. A mechanic I took it to thinks that it is a torque load vibration they replaced the lower transmission mount. It still vibrates. Do you have any idea what is going on?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Subaru
10/6/2015
Subaru Mechanic: Jim, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician

Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel or in the brake pedal?

Brake pedal.

Try to apply the emergency brake, with foot barely on brake pedal and see if it still vibrates. Tell me what happens.

It still vibrates. It seems to be much more noticeable with the a/c running.

Its sounds like the ideal is to low, the throttle plates get plugged up with carbon and will lower the idle slightly, so the throttle plate needs to be cleaned.

The mechanic tried this prior to the transmission mount being replaced. The engine motor mounts were also checked. Full fuel induction service was performed.
It still vibrated after all of that. Very frustrating!

A fuel induction cleaning will not clean the throttle plates, if the throttle plates have not been cleaned, it should be the next thing done.

Mechanic says they were cleaned-twice!

Has any other work been done to the vehicle? Axel shaft replacement, flywheel replacement, list any types of repair the vehicle may have had before this problem started.

Jim
Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician