Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

2007 Subaru Forester having to be jumped off on a regular

Customer Question
basis. New battery, new alternator...
2007 Subaru Forester having to be jumped off on a regular basis. New battery, new alternator, and new starter
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Subaru
10/5/2015
Subaru Mechanic: Jerry, Master Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello and thank you for visiting the site. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

As long as the alternator is charging the battery when the engine is running. You will want to check for a current draw. Normally that is done by disconnecting the negative battery cable and hooking up an amp meter in series with the circuit.

…..

Also can be done with a 12 volt test light. You just go from the battery terminal to the cable end, (disconnected) and see what the draw is or if the light comes on.

….

The recommendation for maximum parasitic drain is around 30 mA (0.030 amp). A typical drain today actually falls into the 7-12 mA range, even though some vehicles do approach the maximum. Multiply the drain (in amps) by the time (in hours) the battery sits without being recharged. The result is the amount of AH consumed by the parasitic drain. The actual drain may be small, but over time the battery grows steadily weaker.

……

If so, then you will want to start pulling fuses one at a time until the light goes out, (or meter goes down) and that will be the circuit in which the draw is in. If no fuses being pulled cause it to drop, then unplug the alternator then the starter. They could do it but it's rare.

Just remember to keep the doors closed, (or dome light disabled) and the hood light unplugged,

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.

Thanks

.

Had it to choke up on me while driving other day and check engine light came on... Barely made it.... Once I got back on road it gave me no problems. Gave code P0042.... Since this happend I havent had to jump it off, but have noticed headlight/park light out on passenger side

Normally we get paid for the original answer(s) before any follow ups, but that wouldn't have any bearing on the battery state of charge. May be just a coincidence that it hasn't had to be jumped.

.

I do not have access to your email address,

I can put the instructions for the test for the trouble code in a PDF file, (it is rather large) and send it to your email address for as little as allowed.

.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it, Thanks

I am sorry for the delay. I am on night shift and have not had a chance to try anything.

I see, thanks. It does just sound like the battery has a draw on it. Goes dead after not driving for a few days or so?

Actually went dead overnight... Hopefully can try to do what you told me today

Thanks and please come again, anytime.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

Jerry, Master Mechanic