Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

I have an automatic 2008 Forester. Once a week I park in a

Customer Question
car garage where I back...
I have an automatic 2008 Forester. Once a week I park in a car garage where I back into the parking space. When I do I hear a banging noise. Otherwise I back up into my driveway at home evey day (faster and longer) but never hear anything. Any ideas what it could be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Subaru
9/17/2015
Subaru Mechanic: Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician

When it bangs does the steering or driveline appear to be binding?

Can you duplicate this anywhere else like backing up in your driveway and turning very sharp in both directions?

Subaru Mechanic: tamaz, Subaru master technician replied 2 years ago
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician

Hi,I would have to disagree with the shop working on your car,if the shocks ,struts or mounts were causing this it would happen at all times especially over bumps.I'm more inclined to know if this happens on turns like parking lot maneuvers like Chris mentioned.Your concern sounds like the transmission transfer clutches are binding and when they release they create a banging noise,this usually happens during tight parking ,your driveway parking sounds to be a bit different than the garage where you hear the noise,thanks

I think part of the problem is that when I park in the garage, it is much easier to hear there than anywhere else. When I leave I pull straight into a short turn to pass the parking ticket machine, then exit. There is no noise at that time.(BTW, In the morning before I park in the garage, I have driven 1 3/4 hrs on high speed roads to get there.)Yesterday a mechanic looked at it. When he pulled into the bay in his garage, I could hear the clanking from the doorway. However, he never heard it and after a little driving around and going back into the bay another time or two, I didn't hear it again.The noise only bothers me as far as it signals a problem that I should have fixed for safety or car integrity.Chris - I haven't heard it any other time. I frequently back up, although not in any kind of building. But, I drive to this garage once a week and every time over the last couple months I have heard it. I don't notice any impact on driving or steering but to park, I am doing a tight, slow turn to get into the parking space at the garage.Tamaz, you are correct on my driveway. I just swing out across the road and back up about 100 feet down my driveway along a hedge, but also pretty sound absorbent I would think.Thanks.

Hi,the symptoms still to me sound related to the transmission transfer clutches,the transfer clutches should allow wheel slip in tight corners when they hang up and release the noise occurs,if it was anything else such as something loose it would happen more often and be easier to find.The first step if it has not been done already is to have the transmission fluid flushed this may eliminate the problem if the fluid is dirty it has lost it properties to lubricate.Another thing to make sure of is that all tires are the same brand and size any difference in tire circumference can also cause binding.If the transfer clutches need replacing the job is about $700-900 ,it's not really a safety concern but because the vehicle is AWD you lose the most important feature of the car.Hope this clears things up,thanks for your time

I was the first tech to start helping you then another jumped in. I will leave it be unless you decide you want a 2nd opinion from me.

Chris.

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician