tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

I have a 2007 Subaru Outback. The parking and taillights are

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Claus. I have a 2007 Subaru Outback. The parking and taillights are not working. I have checked the bulbs and replaced and fuses. I also had a lot of broken wires in the hatch-to-body connection and repaired them by splicing the cables. That seems to be fixed but could it cause this parking/taillight fail issue?
Thanks
Claus
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi Claus,please do me a favor and inspect all the fuses in both the engine and passenger compartment,it is much easier to do this than to map it out its also a very good practice because other components maybe affected that you were unaware of.Just so we are clear neiter the front or rear running lights are operating ,correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tamaz, I checked the fuses and they are all good. And no, we are not clear the front running lights are working, the brake lights are working, the turn signals are working and the back up lights are working. What is not working are the 4 tail light bulbs, the license plate light, and the parking light (yellow lights at the front and red lights at the back that are switched on by a special switch on top of the steering column).
Expert:  tamaz replied 1 year ago.

Hi Claus,I think you'll need to revisit the pass through harness in the tail gate there should be a red/black wire in the harness that may need repair,inspect voltage of red/black at taillight and work backwards toward the pass through,I also forgot to ask you if you have a trailer hitch equipped if so disconnect the wiring to see if everything returns to normal,sometimes the converter box shorts and causes problems,thanks.