Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician
Experience:  Certified Subaru Technician, factory trained by Subaru.
2921078

My subaru tribeca 2010 is overheating and the radiator fan

Customer Question

my subaru tribeca 2010 is overheating and the radiator fan is not working. my mechanic tested the fan relay and the relay is fine. he was about to replace the radiator fan but before installing the new one he checked the old one and there is no problem on the fan. he gave up and re installed the old radiator fan. now all my windows are not working.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

It sounds like one of the fusible links has burned out. If you open the hood and look at the fuse box cover, you should see one fuse labeled SBF4. This fusible link is the power supply for the fan relay and also the power windows. Try swapping it with one next to it or look through the top to see if it is blown. If it is, replace it and this should get the windows working again. We will have to see if it affects the fan, but it's a step in the right direction. Please try this and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it safe to switch it with sbf5?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

It should be, they should have the same amperage rating on them. What you will do is switch, then try the windows, if they work you will have to get another one like it. Then we can go after the fans :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i switched them and even run the engine. windows are still not working :(
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay, so you have no windows working at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all windows are not working
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, we need to try another fuse. This one is inside the car. Fuse #26, I believe the fuses are numbered. Since the fusible link is ok, we have to try this next.

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it looks ok. but i replaced it anyway. still didn't work..
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Anything else not working that the key is required to have work? Other then the fan I mean?
Also, stupid question, but try cycling the window lock button and see if that fixes it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
everything else works. but the four windows and the radiator fan. the fan stopped working since last week. but the windows, stopped just today.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

I understand, let me know on the window lock please. It's about the only thing left that would make any sense.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i just tried the window lock.still not working
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry, don't know what else to do to help from here. If you would like I can open this up for the other experts to see if anyone else has any ideas out there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok..thanks.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Don't reply to me again or it will lock it to me and they won't see it.

Best of luck and hopefully someone else will be able to help you out!!