Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

I need to change an h6 3.0 alternator but I am not sure how

Customer Question
to get to the tensioner...
I need to change an h6 3.0 alternator but I am not sure how to get to the tensioner pulley and I am afraid it will break.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Subaru
8/19/2015
Subaru Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, I am Randall,. Have you done anything yet? or just asking how to relieve belt tension

I have removed the battery, guard, and red connector on alternator. Alternator was reading 11.4 under load while on and I checked voltage deltas to make sure there was a solid connection.

Ok, sounds like bad alternator. have you done anything to try to remove the belt?

I am ready to remove the alternator but I haven't seen a tensioner like this before. I have removed the belt guard (and dropped my socket in the abyss twice /:-)).
I haven't removed the belt yet, of course.

Ok, did not understand per your post/question as to what stage you were at, did not want to repeat something.To loossen the belt? you have to feed a wrench to the tensioner pulley bolt. Honestly? I can No remember all and the exact size, of the bolt head, I think 15mm may be wrong, You put wrench on and rock clockwise and hold it to loosen belt. Sorry can not remember bolt size witout looking,. I out a link to the repair. Fit a wrench that fits, pivot to the right, it is spring loaded, will NOT do harm, hold it there and slip the belt off. See the link I included

It is a 14 mm. I will give it a shot.

I was going to say 15 mm as most common, work on so many different makes models, Cant remember each and every , Soory for that, if 14 mm?> do as I sent, it will work to get belt off

I wasn't sure if it was cc or cw but the drawing answered it just fine. Belt is off. Any advice of putting it back on?
Idler pulley may be in the way of my size if wrench. Is it difficult to remove?

HUM, YOU CAN NOT GET WRENCH BACK ON TO TURN BACK TO LEFT TO HOLD AND SLIP BELT BACK ON? YOU CANT REMOVE A PULLEY AND AT SAME TIME PUT BELT ON. HAVE TO USE A WRENCH OR SOCKET TO GET TENSIONER BACK TO THE LEFT. MAKE SENSE?

Won't have the part until tomorrow but I will give it a go. Thanks for your help.

no problem you should be just fine. maybe this link will help as well

Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician