tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

I have a 2013 Subaru Legacy that I purchased new. It has

Customer Question

I have a 2013 Subaru Legacy that I purchased new. It has 43000 miles on it. I began hearing a noise a few weeks ago however no lights came up on the dash. I scheduled a service visit at the Subaru dealership where I purchased the car. I was informed that the inside edges of the front tires were bald and that the rear tire (which I had replaced a few months ago due to a screw being lodged) was a different brand and size. She said that the tires need to be less than 1/4 inch difference in outside tread circumference to prevent damage to the transmission. The tech stated that this caused the transmission to go bad and that I need a new transmission. I was told that this is not covered under warranty due to the wrong tire being placed as well as I had not had the tires rotated when specified in the manual. There is no other information on the bill/statement that indicates exactly what is wrong with the transmission. It simply states, "the noise is coming from inside the transmission assembly". Does this sound right to you?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 years ago.

Hi,it doesn't sound correct,even if the noise is coming from the inside of the transmission the power train warranty is still good and the dealer would need to prove this is what caused the noise .Tell me about the noise, what does it sound like and when does it happen,noises are tough to diagnose over the Internet so please give me as much info as you possibly can ,thanks for your time I'll await your reply .

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The only way I can describe it is that it sounds like a prop plane. The noise basically coincides with the rpms. It doesn't make the sound when sitting still or in reverse. When in park and the gas pedal is pushed it doesn't make the sound.
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 years ago.

The description is great, thanks,at what speed does it start?If I had to take a guess it sounds like a wheel bearing.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's really at any speed. As soon as I take off it starts. And the dealership service department said the wheel bearings were fine. I think that's what they checked first. Is it standard procedure to tell someone that they need a new transmission because it's making a noise without any further investigation?
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 years ago.

I forgot a very important question do you have a 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder engine there is a different transmission for each engine.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a 4 cylinder.
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 years ago.

Hi sorry my computer decided it was time for a update.The 4 cylinder engine has a CVT transmission if the noise is definitely coming from inside it we cannot take these apart we just get another remanufactured transmission,we can disassemble the 6cylinder transmissions.My thoughts are this is still coverered under factory warranty so without being able to take it apart how do they know it was caused by wrong tire circumfrence.Is there any binding in turns or any other problem besides the noise?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There are no other issues. Just the noise. Thanks for being so helpful!
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 years ago.

Your welcome! Is there another Subaru dealer in your area you could take this matter up with?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There are a couple. My plan was to take it to a service shop that deals with transmissions frequently. My family uses a gentleman from our church that is very honest. Or do you think I should keep it with Subaru?
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 years ago.

I feel you should stay with Subaru,this should be covered under warranty,Subaru has a customer care line it's 1-800-SUBARU3 if you have any issues.