Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

My 2002 Subaru Outback car alarm is going off. I've never

Customer Question
had a fob, just my...
My 2002 Subaru Outback car alarm is going off. I've never had a fob, just my wife.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Subaru
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/13/2015
Subaru Mechanic: Mike V., Subaru Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician

Hi there,

Do you still need help with this?

I have tried turning on off multiple times as suggested online and I. Manual, does not reset
If j call is the 18 in addition to the 24?
Are you there?

Yes, there is an extra charge for the call.

Try this for me, turn the ignition on and off 3 times, this should turn the alarm off if it's the factory alarm.

Let me know.

Or is that what you mean you have done already?

already did that many times

Ok, then this is not the factory alarm.

Look under the dash on the driver side and check for a small black box, usually held in with zip ties, if you locate it, try unplugging it to see if the alarm stops,

Please let me know.

When I lock all and close the door, beeps twice. When I unlock, won't reset
Alarm has stopped. But still flashing fast on dash and will not start

Try holding it in the unlock position for about 10 seconds before you open the door.

Pretty sure it's factory alarm, but we bought used five years ago

The security light is flashing on the dash? Does the car click or anything when you attempt to start it?

I have no idea what I'm looking for.

It's ok, lets slow down, what do you hear when you try to start the car with the alarm off?

No, no click

Ok, is the car auto or manual transmission?

Ok, there is a slight click

Ok, can you tell if the click is from under the dash or under the hood?

Close, prob dash

Ok, that does sound like you are hearing the starter disable relay.

So, let's take a step back, close the hood if it's open, lock all the doors. Try unlocking the passenger side door instead of the driver side and see if the alarm stops going off when you unlock the door.

Try this and let me know.

Manual
No dice

Ok, so when you unlocked the door, the alarm started going off again?

No, no alarm, still acting like alarm is set. Light blinking, won't start

Ok, the light should blink. Unless it's blinking when you are trying to start it, it normally blinks.

I think the next step has to be to attempt to jump start the car. Leave a donor car on it for about 10 minutes, then try it and see if it turns over.

Please let me know.

Hello?

Please let me know.

Sorry, not sure why you didn't see my last reply...

No, it is still blinking when j try to start it
It has not stopped flashing very fast since the alarm went off. Like it's in a lockdown mode

Ok

Lets try to disconnect the battery, turn the ignition to the on position and reconnect the battery. Then turn the ignition off and then try to start the car. If this doesn't solve it, then it's probably going to need a new keyless entry control module.

Let me know.

Sorry for the 2 minute response times, I have to type this out and also try to think of ways to help you out.

I don't have tools to disconnect te battery
I want to avoid a wrecker fee, that's why I contacted you
or my wife coming out with her keyfob

I understand that, however you don't have any tools to attempt this repair and clearly working the key isn't going to resolve the issue.

I will open this up for the other experts and if anyone has any new ideas, they will reply.

Please do not respond or the question will be locked to me and if anyone has any new ideas they will not be able to respond.

I have resolved this on my own.
The site is not letting me rate this or request a refund from my iPad.
now I'm on a laptop, and site is still not letting me rate the thread or request a refund. I am very aggravated with this site, sorry I found it.
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Subaru Technician