Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

Subaru outback 2011: subaru outback 2011 2.5 prem manual trans

Customer Question
subaru outback 2011 2.5 prem...
subaru outback 2011 2.5 prem manual trans 6sp. clutch went all the way to floor when i pulled out at traffic light as normal yesterday, but would not return to upright position. i could still shift between 1-2 gear so i drove the last mile to work and drifted into parking space because once i went to nuetral i could not get it back into gear. one can lift peddle and it stays up till you push it, goes all the way to floor with no tension and stas there till relifted. had it towed to shop. once taken off the flatbed at shop the clutch now works with tension etc. what is wrong, do i replace something asap
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Subaru
7/30/2015
Subaru Mechanic: Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician
You do need to address this concern, because it is going to happen again. This based on your description should be a faulty clutch master cylinder. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
i dont know all the parts of the clutch but the garage wants to replace the clutch, throwout bearings and bolts, etc. i don't know how that relates to what a master cylinder is. i saw that others with the same issue had problems with their slave cylinder which was much cheaper to replace then the full clutch. the garage told me that when they started the car they could hear the bearings rattling and that by replacing the clutch it would fix the pressure issue and that it was not the slave cylinder. they said that generally they don't have to replace the flywheel, but they can not see that until they take it apart. they plant to start working on it today so if you don't get in till 3pm and it is only 9am i don't know that your response is going to be of any help if they are replacing the wrong parts. if i have them return the used parts to me, will i be able to tell if they were really bad?
Yes, with images I can tell if parts are bad. The problem with there diag is the only part that returns the clutch pedal to the resting position is the master cylinder, nothing in the bell housing can hold the clutch pedal down being its a hydraulic system.
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Subaru Technician