Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

Subaru Legacy 2.5I: WELL I DID A HEAD JOB ON A 2006 2.5I STARTED

Customer Question

WELL I DID A HEAD JOB ON A 2006 2.5I STARTED IT UP RAN TILL YOU GAVE IT ANY GAS THEN IT WOULD STALL. BORROWED A SCANNER GAVE ME MISS FIRE CYL. 2 AND CYL. 4 ASKEDA COUPLE OF MECHANICS THEY SAID I HAD TIMING BELT ON WRONG. BUT I LINED UP ALL THE MARKS WITH ALL THE MARKS ON THE BELT WHEN I PUT IT BACK TOGETHER. SO I TOOK IT BACK APART CHECKED THE TIMING MARKS AND SURE ENOUGH THEY WHERE OFF. SO I REDID THE BELT LINING UP ALL THE MARKS AGAIN TURNED IT OVER TWICE AND AGAIN THEY WHERE OFF. WHAT'S UP.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 years ago.
Hi which marks on the cams and crank are you following
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
drivers cam mark on sprocket with notch in black plastic guard, passengers notch on sprocket with seem on case, slash on crank gear with notche in aluminum
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
did you get that
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 years ago.
The marks on the belt don't matter, just a reference,the marks will only line up after you turn the engine over the number of teeth on the crank sprocket and both cams which is quite a number of times every time you turn the engine over the belt marks will move .All cam and crank slashes should be a 12o'clock
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
they are but I was told that if you turn the engine over twice the marks on the crank and cams should come back to 12 oclock
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is this true
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
are you still there
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I had to leave to tend to family matters. 1 revolution of the crank will set all marks at 12oclock twice will put the cams at 6