Subaru

Have Subaru Questions? Ask a Subaru Mechanic and Get Answers ASAP

Subaru

Subaru forester: i put my forester from park into neutral to

Customer Question
i put my forester from...
i put my forester from park into neutral to move it partway down the driveway, without the key in the ignition.
After rolling it forward, it wouldn't shift out of neutral, so i left it there with the parking brake on. Today i started it up, and can drive it fine in the forward gears, but it the shifter will not physically move into reverse or park. it's like neutral is the most forward position it will go. also, it will not release the key from the ignition now.
Please help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Subaru
7/27/2015
Subaru Mechanic: tamaz, Subaru master technician replied 2 years ago
tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Hi sorry to hear your having a problem,it sounds like the shifter cable has broken or is out of adjustment.If the neutral switch does not know the shifter has been place in park it will will not release the key.What position is the shift indicator on the dash in?
Kevin C.
Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.