Kevin C.
Kevin C., Subaru Master Tech.
Experience:  34 years of Subaru service experience, ASE Master Technician.
49406277

Subaru impreza outback sport: i have a 2009 subaru impreza

Customer Question

hi i have a 2009 subaru impreza outback sport 130000 mi and automatic transmission. Today i was driving and went to brake and the car came to an abrupt stop like i hit something. suddenly a loud grinding noise came from the front of the car. The car idles fine but has loud grinding noise when in park and neutral. when i put it in gear grinding noise stops and only comes back at speed. i was wondering if you think it is in the transmission or the front differential
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 years ago.
Hi, sorry to hear of your problem,this does sound like a front differential problem.The first step would be to check the fluid my bet is that it's black and putrid smelling,the dipstick is on the passenger side.The noise is most likely caused by a faulty pinion bearing which allowed excessive play then wear on the ring gear.Thanks for your time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply, I will reply with a damage report after I pull the tranny.
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 years ago.
Ok,I'll be here.