tamaz
tamaz, Subaru master technician
Experience:  Subaru certified,ASE Master technician,25 years experience
70031029

Car is 1989 subaru legacy my grandson bought at used car

Customer Question

car is 1989 subaru legacy my grandson bought at used car lot has 30 days warranty found that emergency brake needed reapair it was taken care of but speedometer dont work but was told he cant repair it so now what ???? is it simple to repair and what can be done also prob needs repaired at inspection time my grandson doesnt know what to do he is not mechanicly inclined he geard its a simple fix by a person who knows more than him
Category: Subaru
Expert:  tamaz replied 2 years ago.
Hi can you please clarify the year and model,there was no Legacy model until 1990,thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I shouldnt have asked any questions im always wanting to help but dont know enough about cars it definitely is a legacy so it is 1990 is it a big job to repair speedomiter he read somewhere another owner of this type ar andit seems this happens lots but that owner said its easy fix just a few wires haha but my grandson is not a mechanic is there easy way to fix??????/

Expert:  tamaz replied 2 years ago.
Hi,no worries ,I think it's great your trying to help your grandson out,I'll do my best to help you!The speedometer is cable driven what happens a lot is the cable end breaks.There is a end that screws into the front differential this piece drives the cable and thus moves the speedometer, this removable piece breaks inside the most common fix is to replace this end,hope this helps ,thanks for your time