George H.
George H., Subaru Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15 + Years
13574682

Subaru Outback 3.0 R Limited: Have 2003 Subaru Outback

Customer Question

Hi
Have 2003 Subaru Outback H6. Was running fine, car sat for 8 months with battery pulled. Charged battery, 12.6 volts,cleaned terminals, installed in car, no lights when turning ignition, no anything at all. Fuses looked OK. Car was running fine, then it sat, now nothing with good battery.
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
Are you saying you have power to nothing at all, like no battery in the car?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, charged battery, installed it, and nothing. No lights, sounds, doesn't even turn over. All fuses visually look OK. Car ran fine before sitting, covered for 8 months.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Terminals are clean, battery cables in good condition.
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
I need you to go to the under hood fuse/relay box, remove one of the headlight relays, No need to turn key on, Probe the terminals the relay goes into and tell me how many have 12 + volts. They will be relays 10/11 shown in the link provided
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
I will need to opt out,Another expert should be along soon to continue helping
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Probed terminals, and nothing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bad battery cable perhaps?
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
Hello different expert here, I am sorry for the delay in getting you a response, I just saw your question. So no power to the headlight relays? Do you have 12 volts at the battery terminals? If you have it there do you still have it at the cable ends at the battery? Please let me know how I can help and I am sorry this has taken so long. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The battery is fully charged, tried to jump it and nothing, no light, sounds nothing. It ran fine before we pulled out the battery and stored it outside for 8 months. Car was covered.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
Can you actually test the voltage at the positions I asked and let me know what your readings are. We need to find where the voltage goes away. The headlamp relays have voltage directly from the battery so if you have it at the battery it should be there as well. Let me know what you read Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will go check
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I get nothing at the HL relays.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
OK, I am here for another hour tonight, let me know what you find, next stop is the cable to the fuse block. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. I dont think anything is getting to the fuse block. SBF No. 8 is missing. Is that OK? There is a solid ground to the the body.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
Just check the wiring for now, the battery post then the cable then the connection to the fuse block.
Let me know if it gets that far.
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, thanks, ***** ***** dinner.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I may not be here after dinner so the idea is to leave the negative lead of the meter on the last good reading then move the positive lead along the circuit. You checked the headlamp relays and had nothing, see if you have power into the panel from the battery.
I will watch for your reply but it may not be tonight.
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Have found the problem. Loose positive terminal cable going to underside of fuse box.
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
That could do it, please let me know if you have further questions
Thank you