Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

Subaru: My dads car (2002 Legacy) would shup off suddenly and…

Customer Question
My dads car (2002 Legacy)...
My dads car (2002 Legacy) would shup off suddenly and wont start.. sometimes after a few hours would start back on. Is it the fuel pump/relay ot crank shaft position sensor? Thank you
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Subaru
6/2/2015
Subaru Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Hi there,
SUDDEN cut out and no start will not be fuel pump.
The ECM controls the fuel pump relay, it also controls the injectors.
It does not the fire the injectors, if it does not receive a crank position signal.
The car would have logged a DTC for the cutout condition.
A scan tool will tell you the DTC.
It will help you to know the DTC set.
Gary
So it sounds like crank position sensor is most likely?
Could be, but a scan tool will verify whether the ECM is seeing the signal.
Without a scan tool to look at data, you are guessing.
You could take a punt, but it really needs a little more experience.
Gary