Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

Subaru Outback 2.5I Basic: I just purchased a 2007 outback…

Customer Question
I just purchased a 2007...
I just purchased a 2007 outback wagon 5 speed man. Driving down the road and it dies out. Bought as is no warranty. What's the fix?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Subaru
5/24/2015
Subaru Mechanic: FIXITMAN, Master Technician replied 3 years ago
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. Can you tell me it is starts right back up when this happens? Is the check engine light on? Does it typically stall out at idle or at any speed?
It dies out while at any speed after it reaches operating temp. I have to turn the ignition off all the way. Then restart. I come to a complete stop also. I noticed that at speeds of 80 mph and above it ran like a bat out of he'll and didn't die out.
Thank you. One last question. When this happens does it sputter out and then die or does it act like you just turned the key off? Is the check engine light on?
No just dies out. I have to turn the ignition completely off. I Evan take the key out and restart. I have the DRL light on.
Thank you. There are a number of things that I have seen on this car that causes this, but the most common is a failing throttle body. It is very common on this year. The motor fails and will suddenly close the throttle and it will stall. Does the check engine light come on?
No check engine light never comes on. I have it at a shop right now. They think a relay in the dash board may be the cause Just shy of condemning the ECU.
I have not changes the ECU on this car for this type of issue. Now, it can be one of the relays, such as the fuel pump relay. The hard part is diagnosing this as it seems to be random.
Well that's what I was hoping for. I think they're heading in the right direction. Told them not to rush I have another car. Thank you for your insight . You've given me piece of mind.
Not a problem. Let me know if you any further assistance. Please rate when you have time. Thank you.