FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Subaru Outback 2.5I: 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5 CVT a long way

Customer Question

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5 CVT a long way from home and far from the nearest Subaru dealer ... Got a check engine light on steady, brake warning light is flashing, traction light is lit and won't turn off, and the cruise control light is on and flashing and doesn't turn off. All fluids appear to be up to level. I just drove around a bit and it seems almost normal except for a bit more noise under the hood ... And the noise seems related to engine speed as if a bearing is going bad, or fan ... and all those lights are still lit and flashing. Is this thing safe to drive a few miles? What do you think is wrong?
- Will - stranded in Hailey ID
Category: Subaru
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
Hello Will, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. I hate to say that this can be so many different things. If you are getting a noise as you mentioned under the hood it is possible that a relay is stuck on causing an electric motor to stay on. If the check engine light is not flashing and if the vehicle seems to be running okay then you should be fine. If you can, take it to a local auto parts store and have the computer scanned for codes. If you do this and bring me the codes I can tell you better what is going on. If you cannot do this I would still say that you should be fine to drive it. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Bobby, will try to find a shop with a scanner in the morning
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if you get them or if you have further questions. Thank you.