Ronnie
Ronnie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an ASE tech
7276279

Subaru Outback 2.5I Basic: What do $7E8 and $7E9 codes mean

Customer Question

What do $7E8 and $7E9 codes mean on my 2012 Subaru Outback ?
Category: Subaru
Expert:  Ronnie replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
Subaru does not list any fault codes that start with the $ sign, if you can explain what type of problem you are having and what it is you are trying to do I will try and help you determine the cause. All engine control code are P and or U codes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The problem is that several of the dash light / indicators are now flashing, including "cruise" and cruise won't engage. BRAKE light is blinking, also the traction control symbol, CHK ENG and one or two other things. I 've had this sequence occur a couple of times in the past. Once was the gas cap not being tight. Next I think was an 02 sensor (don't remember for sure on that but it cost $400 to repair). Seems that once it did it just to say "time for x-thousand mile service". The only thing I have done to it recently is last week had the oil changed and the other day I changed the spark plugs. Well, I changed 3 of them. I broke one of the new ones (dropped it and cracked the insulator). I couldn't see that the old plugs were that worn so I re-inserted one of them. It was an original plug. The car has 112,000 miles / 2012 model. Air cleaner is ok.
Last time it did this I forget what the supposed code was. I used a freind of mine's code reader and cleared it. I went to Harbor Freight to get my own reader (that's where he got his) and got my own for such occurances. That was 4 or 6 months ago.
The majority of the repsonses on the web seem to indicate this $7E8 or $7E9 code means the reader is not compatible. How can that be ? I don't really know if I even have a problem with the car. It's running better with the new plugs. The only problem I had previously was that it would stumble ever so slightly at slow idle like as if you were backing up, stopping and shifting from R to D or vice versa. The new plugs fixed that. Aside from that, I can't tell anything wrong. Any ideas based on all this?
Expert:  Ronnie replied 2 years ago.
In order to determine what may be wrong we are going to need to have the on board computer system scanned with a compatible scan tool and see if there are any actual fault codes setting, most Auto parts stores besides those in California will run a code scan for you at no charge. If you can get me any actual fault codes I can advise from there.